pulp fiction

I wrote this short story on February 2002 (when I was young hehe). N although I couldn’t believe, it had published on Gotcha Tabloid July 2002 period. I post it here before I lose it (I’m bad in archiving):D


“Have you worked on Mr. Manurung’s paper, Yan?”
Yan didn’t answer it. She kept her eyes busy staring at a couple boys under Akasia tree. I knew Andra was there.
“Yan…,” I reminded her.
“Oh, what? Man U? No, no… I watched Lega Calcio last night,” hurriedly she answered. My God! What she’s talking about. Did she forget that I hate Soccer. Swear!
“Juve won!,” she added.
I gave her my sweetest smile. And a few second then, when she looked at me I knew her mind had worked just as usual.
“you don’t like soccer!”
I laughed.
“Come on Re, what did you say?”, she was curious.
‘Ree….,” she shook my shoulder. But I laughed more and more loudly.
“just forget it,” I said finally when Yana seemed not to care anymore. Andra was still there. A cool and intelligent person with long straight hair. The one who used to fill in my days. Used to be… before I knew there was Yana inside his heart. What an ironic. Yana was my classmate n now became my housemate in our boarding house. Of course, Yana and Andra didn’t know my feeling. And I hope they wouldn’t.
Yana stirred her juice slowly while her eyes once again stared at the two boys under the Akasia tree.
“Lately, Andra seldom comes. He must be busy, right?” I tried to verify, but she kept silent.
“Yan, if you have problems remember that I am here for you,” I convinced her.
“everything’s okay, Re. Thanks,” she said. That’s Yana!


I had just stepped my foot on Andra and his gang’s rented house terrace.
“e…e…, who’s this beautiful girl?!” Iwan came toward me.
“wow, what a surprise!” Dayat joined us. He took my hand and brought me into the room. Andra was there. And also his other friends: Asni, Chimot, Imeng.
“welcome home,” Chimot spoke. I felt so shy. But why should I? I knew all of them well. “Hi, Re!”
He’s in front of me now. He wore a white t-shirt n blue jeans. His hair was wet. It made him look so different.
“Looking for me?,” he asked
“Ya!”
I hear noises behind me when he begged his friend to leave us alone.
“sorry, guys….,” he teased his friends.


That room was still the same like when last I came here, six months ago. I knew all stuff in it. Hundred of cassettes on the corner, book scattered arround the room, some clothes hung behind the door, a big Yngwie Malmstein poster. I was also familiar with the nicotine smell although Andra tried to hide it by spraying air freshener. I sat on the carpet near his tape recorder. I turned on the radio just to relax. Heaven Knows from Rick Price flew. He then sat in front of me.
“finally, you are here again,” He spoke slowly. I tried to avoid his eyes by looking arround the room. And when I saw something in sofa….
“how is Mami,” I asked. Mami was his Ibanez electric guitar’s name. it’s called like that because Mami meant ‘wife’ which always accompanied him all the time, even when he was sleeping.
‘she’s okay,” he answered
“but I think she misses you, Re. You’re so far now…”
I pretended not to hear what he had just said.
‘does Yana often come here?”
“Yup!”
Of course I regretted my stupid question.
“she’s nice, I like her,” it was my strange voice.
“I don’t wanna talk about her”
‘Oh I know. That must be something bad. That’s why I’m here. Andra.., if you want me to…”
“No, you don’t have to!,” he cut before I finished my words.
“Re, I don’t wanna talk about her. Please!”
I like that too, my heart said.
“Not now, when I have u here with me.”
His last sentence encouraged me to look at him. Our eyes met then. I could even hear the beat of my heart. Still the same feeling.
“Re....”
“Yes…”
“I really miss you n our togetherness.”
I couldn’t control my heart. It’s beating faster when I saw something in his eyes I’d never found before. Was I wrong? I still didn’t get what he meant, till he continued..
“let’s make it like before!”
He stood up and took his guitar. Put his finger on it and asked me to sing. And time passed by so quickly. It’s just like a few times ago. I gave my words to come again. We spent a lot of time. We talked about everything. We went out and we bought our favourite ice cream and ate it while walking along the road. Then we visitted cassettes stores, watched live music concert, just like before. I like the way he treated me and I realized that although he never told, he had the same feeling as mine.


I found Yana in her room that night. She tried to clean her cheeks when she knew I was coming. I knew she was crying.
“we broke up,” she started. I had nothing to say.
“and he didn’t explain the reason.”
I knew. Andra told me. Am I so cruel? My heart cried. I could see her eyes tearing. I could feel how hurt she was.
“I don’t believe it, Re,” she sobbed.
“ it really hurts me!”
I put my hand on her shoulders.
“I know,” that all I could say
We were silent for a moment.
“Re, would you help me?” It surprised me.
“…… sure!”
“You are his best friend. He believes in everything that you say,” she stared at me. And I guessed I knew what she wanted. I lost my hearing till she came up with the unwanted question.
“Would you bring him to me, Re?”
I was trembling. There’s a big hope in her eyes. But I remembered that card. The card Andra gave me a week ago. Still, I could see the words “Re, you’re my hidden treasure that I’ve been looking for. From this moment on till forever would you be mine?”
Should I tell her the truth?!!

(thanks 4 abskk 4 da inspiration)

0 komentar: